Transform Your Employee Onboarding Process
Your employee onboarding process can make or break the relationship new hires form with your company. Onboarding is a critical juncture during which creating a warm welcome into your company’s culture is equally as important as orientation and compliance.
Stories are what they are seeking
New hires seek to integrate your mission and values with their roles and responsibilities, but often this important training content is given minimal consideration. Storytelling provides the most engaging way for new employees to learn about and assimilate your culture. When you train new hires with stories from their peers, it’s the difference between, “Welcome to the company and here is your desk” and “Let me tell you a little bit about why we do what we do, and how you can succeed.”
Information that connects
Stories are a form of knowledge that is tangible, emotional, and easy to recollect and apply. Unlike other training content, storytelling builds emotional connection naturally alongside the job, situation, or value the story is intended to illustrate. And because they are told by and about real people, what they do and what they learned, stories have a warming effect, if you will; they humanize your organization. When new hires listen to carefully crafted stories told by employees, managers and executives, their onboarding experience transforms into a cultural journey in support of their success.
Narativ’s onboarding program
We bring 20 years of listening and storytelling experience to our employee onboarding program. Through discovery, workshops, interviews, and storytelling training, we find the stories that matter most within your organization. Turning them into fascinating learning content through video production and module development comes next. The final phase is delivery, to either enhance your current LMS and content, or through Narativ’s own Story Library, a simplified content-management system that prioritizes storytelling and provides a light-weight means to categorize, interrelate, and search stories by topic, theme or area, supported by prose content. See our one sheet for a complete service roadmap.
Story Library Preview
Stories enhances learning content
• brings key ideas to life through memorable moments and relatable experiences
• accelerates understanding because of the mind’s natural inclination to absorb and retain story information
• surfaces new knowledge that can have a transformative impact on onboarding outcomes
• scales mentorship through personal stories of leaders or managers
• creates a repository for organizational memory
What our clients say
• cuts down on the learning curve (6 months to 6 weeks in one case)
• helps to avoid common mistakes made in the first month
• creates a sense of belonging and ownership within the first week
• builds relationships and supports teamwork
• integrates seamlessly with existing onboarding strategies and platforms
Our program is delivered over 6 phases that include discovery, workshops, coaching, production, LMS deliverables, and impact measurement. Download the one sheet for more detail.
Case Story Video
Our work with Measure for Justice serves as an example of how one mentor’s stories were used to train a cohort of new hires.